Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A Pound of Cure: Work-out, Weigh-in Wednesday



Here I am, kicking my own ass at Family Fitness. Wednesday has been the day of reckoning lately. I am in lucky week #13. I did lose a pound this week


I programmed the eliptical machine for a workout called "walk in the park"-this would be a slight misrepresentation I would say. Whoever named it that was being a sarcastic SOB. Maybe they were thinking of Jurassic Park!


This is my preferred method of torturing myself. If my foot is good I run and if it's not I walk and then ride the bike. That's my interpretation of "resting" it.

I hate how sitting like this emphasizes the fat roll~however, it is getting smaller!
Now to the meeting... We discussed emotional eating and how to avoid it. We tried to define what "real" hunger feels like: the grumbling stomach, the hunger pangs, possibly the shakes or a headache or feeling no energy. When we think we're hungry we need to ask ourselves if it is real and legitimate-such as it's been awhile since we've eaten and we have the real indicators or is something else going on? Am I bored? Sad? Lonely? Mad? Happy? Tired? Thirsty? If it isn't real hunger, what else could I do instead of eat? The strategies we came up with were exercise, read, distract ourselves with a hobby, tv program, brush our teeth, chew gum, take a bubble bath, paint our toe or fingernails, blog or journal. The point is to eat only when you're physically hungry, stop when you are reasonably satisfied but not overstuffed, and to recognize when it's not real hunger and substitute another behavior instead of eating. This is a process and we get better at it as we go along. We also discussed the plateau/set point issue. Everyone agrees that the way to get past it is to change up the eating/exercise pattern. So, that will be my assignment this week.

4 comments:

Rachel Nykerk said...

Congrats on another pound ! I have been gaining wt. Now that I am finding more foods I can eat , I go overboard. So your suggestions are helpful. Thanks

Rascal said...

Hey Lona,
Good job, one more off instead of on! That emotional eating can be a tough one. I've had some good therapy around that issue! I've been dropping some weight myself. Stay strong and keep your focus cuz you are doing good! Also, have you done any cleansing? That can also be really helpful along with changing up diet and working out.

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Not sure what you mean by cleansing...I do shower! Do you mean cleaning out the poop chute? I do know that when you're full of shit you feel like shit...is that it? Just a guess ;-)

Rascal said...

Good Guess! Poop Chute. . .you got it!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed