Monday, January 5, 2009

Just notice


I wasn't super thrilled when I got up Sunday morning and found that everything was encased in ice from the freezing rain that hit us overnight. I've decided that freezing rain is my least favorite form of precipitation. The driveway was an ice skating rink. Just the kind of place a clumsy person like me should stay away from! But I was determined to make it to church, so I chipped the ice away from my car and forged on...While I was de-icing, it struck me how beautiful everything was...in a way. Shiny and shimmery. Like crystal. When I got home from church,  it was warm and cozy in the great room when I came through the door. A nice fire was going in the woodstove and I had made a batch of vegetable beef soup in the crock pot before I left. It smelled delicious. It was delicious. It warmed me down to my toes. After lunch I drove through downtown Holland on my way to the library. Many of the Christmas decorations were still up and some of the shops were just opening for the afternoon. A peaceful, meandering collection of folks lined the streets, walking and talking and laughing. Some were holding hands. A few were walking their dogs or pushing strollers. All bundled up but enjoying the day and the few streaks of sunshine that peeked through every now and then. The library was full of studious, nerdy looking people and families picking out books. I had some things to print out.It was interesting, familiar and comfortable there. I've been spending a lot of time at the library for research during my classes. This is beginning to feel like my home away from home. I like being there. It feels and smells smart there.  All those books and magazines, videos, and cd's.  Ditto the gym, which is where I went next. There is an atmosphere that has a life of its own. My little group of contemporaries that always seem to be there working out together was assembled and going full speed. We love to watch HGTV while we sweat...we hate it when someone gets the remote and makes us watch QVC or reruns of Rosanne for two hours! At home, I had a really nice conversation with my parents and then friends came over to spend the evening. I have been noticing lately how often I am smiling about things. I have picked up on so many things that make me happy, bring me joy. It can be really little things like the warmth of a fire on a cold day, or the feeling of belonging that you get driving through your town and going to familiar places. It can be just noticing how lovely even an ice-covered driveway is. I have taken about half the Christmas decorations down and put them away. I put the cranberry and popcorn strands off the tree onto another tree in the yard so the birds could eat them. It made me feel good that I was feeding the birds. Is this weird? Does everyone think and feel things like this? Or am I finally just getting it? Or am I losing it? It seems like a good thing. People say they have noticed me being a lot happier these days than they have ever seen me before. There are so many great things to notice if we will. And it doesn't even cost money! Can't beat that! You know what? If it makes me happy and it makes me smile, who cares if it sounds kooky? It's ok to be a little off...

3 comments:

Rascal said...

Hey Lona,
I love and appreciate this posting "Just notice". . .it sounds like you are finding happiness within yourself instead of looking to others to make you happy and there's nothing kooky about that! I don't think you are off at all but dare I say . . . Right on Pointe and thank God that being happy doesn't cost
anything.
Stay well.
Jodee

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Yeah~sorta what I was thinking, too, but it's nice to get confirmation! Happy New Year to you and yours. Take the best of care.

Rachel Nykerk said...

As I psych nurse, I can tell you , you have nothing to worry about.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed