Wednesday, July 2, 2008

If YOU won the lottery...


In spite of dismal odds, my coworkers and myself have had a lottery pool going for the past 6 years.We play, usually, Mega Millions, once a week, twice if the jackpot gets over $100 million. That all started years ago when the 13 school cafeteria workers in Minnesota won the Power Ball Jackpot after playing weekly, each contributing a quarter, for many years. I said, "somebody's going to win it, why not us?!" Yes, I AM promoting gambling at my workplace!

Yeah, I remember the TV series last summer, I think it was, where a group of friends won the lottery. Week after week we saw episodes detailing how all the money ruined their lives, their marriages, their friendships, their families, and their businesses. I wonder how typical that is among lottery winners? I remember hearing a statistic once about a high percentage of lottery winners declaring bankruptcy within five years of winning! Still, in theory, I think I could handle myself reasonably well with that big wad of cash! Hey, remember that a million doesn't go as far as it used to-weak dollar, inflation, gas prices, etc. I like to think that I wouldn't let money change me too much and that I would be generous and share with others. Of course, I'll never know for sure how I would react unless I get lucky and actually win it! Remind me of all this stuff if it happens...hold me accountable!
So, what would you do if you won the lotto? Here's my plan:
Pay greedy ol' Uncle his more-than-fair-share. That's about 50% ish, right?

Give 10% to Victory Point-God sent it even if the devil brought it!

Give 10% more to all my favorite charities.
Pay off all debt including/especially student loans!
Fix everything that's wrong with my house-make some improvements.

New car-I have a 2003 Hyundai. I'd go green-like a hybrid-maybe a Prius.

Give a "love offering" to each of my family members-not enough to spoil, just enough to help! Fine line there.

Schedule a really nice vacation-take some people along who normally wouldn't get to travel.
Get the rest of it saved, invested, legal documents in order, all my ducks in a row! Call Dave Ramsey for advice!
Provide some excellent opportunities-daycare or education for my kids/grandkids.
Send Gunther and Patches to doggie daycare.
Finance a few "adventures" like hiking the Appalachian Trail, deep sea diving on the Coral Reef, such things like that-maybe coaching academy +/or Landmark courses, Covey Institute, John Maxwell Leadership training-Oh, Yeah! Be all you can be-that's me!
Quit my job and do missions work or community service projects, have time for devotions, exercise, and self-care, including SLEEP!! Plus, I'd do one massage per day for FREE for someone who needs it. I would never forget my dear, dear clients!
Spend more time writing and BLOGGING-of course! Time for hobbies and interests. For friends and family. For sitting on my booty now and then and just doing nothing-and not feeling the least bit guilty about it either!
If I really hit the Mother Load-a cabin up North and a cottage in South Haven(but I would let a lot of other people use it, too).

That's about it...What would you do with all that money???

Do you think it would ruin your life? Change your life radically or not so much?

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed