Thursday, July 24, 2008

Blog Hero: The story of Olive Riley

I ran across an extraordinary find while blog hopping a couple days ago. A lady named Olive Riley had a blog called The Life of Riley. Had, because, sadly, she passed away this month. Extraordinary because Olive was 109 years old-the oldest known blogger! Still full of life and enchanted by the wonder of life at 109 years of age. I am in awe.



It has taken me all of 49 years to get comfortable in my own skin to the point that I no longer wish to look different, be different, compare myself to others, need everyone's approval, or have to depend on someone else to be happy. I am happy with my life and myself AS IS! Does this mean I'm complacent? Of course not! I want to grab life and take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way. Each day is a gift and I want to treat it as such. I never want to take my life for granted. I want to continue to find ways to contribute, bless others, and spend my time in a worthwhile fashion. I hope that I will never get to a point where I no longer wish to learn anything new or stop pursuing new life experiences.

I said all of that to say this...that is the legacy Olive has left behind! She is one of those points of light that we encounter on our journey. She has set an example and held up the mirror so we can see more clearly our own potential. If you read her blog posts you will find a humble person who didn't think of herself as anyone out of the ordinary. You can sense her spirit of gratitude for all that she was allowed to experience during her long span of years. Her posts take you back in time for a real-life history lesson. Think of all the changes she saw during her time here on this planet. It's mind boggling. But even so, she still felt stimulated to take up blogging and interface with current technology and not just give up but instead reach out! She did not do the actual typing on the computer-she had a friend assist her as she dictated her stories. In the stories her fiesty zest for life shines through. Read as many as you have time for. They're fascinating and are a great history lesson, to be sure, and a birdseye view of life from an Aussie's perspective.



It is my hope and prayer that I can learn the important life-lesson that Olive offers us all by virtue of her example-to keep living big, rich, full and unselfishly right up to the end.
Thank-you, Olive for inspiring so many of us!

You can check Olive's stories out by going to:
www.allboutolive.com
or you can google Olive Riley and pull up all sorts of things including all her videos on Youtube and all of the stories and posts about this remarkable woman.



If you have the time, follow the advice on the blog and start reading at her first post and follow it through. Her recounting of life's adventures is worth the time and effort spent.Very fun reading! You'll come away with an appreciation for the adaptability of this dear little lady!

6 comments:

ERIC SHACKLE said...

Hi Lana. Thank you for your fine tribute to my friend Olive Riley.
Please amend one small typo. She was born on October 20, 1899, so she lived to 108, not 109.

She has inspired people in many countries to set up blogs telling the stories of their elderly relatives, which will interest present bloggers and future historians.

Best wishes from Sydney, Australia.

Unknown said...

Lana, that's a nice tribute to Ollie. I'm touched that you begun in the beginning of her blob. There's a lot of reading to do ahead of you! .

I have my favorites of course. I like the teeth story, Culloden, and the steam tram. I also like the saving of Billy.

To tell the truth, it was a partnership. I crafted the mix of photos and text to make the blog as appealing as possible.

Eric helped too, with the first suggestion, and then mainly in keeping Ollie in touch with comments on a weekly basis and then when I was away, carrying the proxy blog.

You comments are so insightful you deserve to see her film, All About Olive. Send me an address and I'll lend you a cpy.

Cheers, Mike

rubbo@aapt.net.au

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Thank-you both so much! I'm honored that you would stop by my blob!I'm touched that you are still looking out for Ollie by keeping up with all our posts.If it weren't for the two of you, we wouldn't have known about this wonderful lady.You've done us all a great service!Hats off to you both!
Hugs & MORE HUGS!
and yes, mike I will send my address!
Have a lovely day, Mike and Eric! You've made mine!
Oh, and I loved the story of Olive's teeth and Culloden. Makes me want to visit...

Carol Sue said...

I checked her out...What a woman....just like you

Carol Sue said...

HOw GREAT the folks in Australia contacted you.....how wonderful is that....Like is full of blessings

Lana Mae Kamer said...

It was very exciting to hear from Olive's friends!They are both so very dear and great writers! I like to think I have some of her robust qualities-thanks for the compliment, Carol!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed