Friday, July 4, 2008

Everything's a test!


My current class, Psych Testing and Evaluation, makes me want to put a gun to my head! Ever been in a class as horrible as that? Several decades ago, while in my first college undergrad courses, one of my instructors compared the required core courses to a series of inoculations. Once you have received a particular shot, you gained immunity, and never had to endure that one again! This is the thought that drives me on to completion! But wait...could there be more?
What is the lesson here?
I have a choice-ALWAYS-how I'm going to see this experience and how I'm going to respond. What can I learn from this? I'm not comfortable...I'm not enjoying this, but... Maybe I need to give this information more of a space to be interesting to me instead of just rejecting it. Testing is definitely a tool that can be useful and helpful in understanding people and assisting them with direction in areas of life. It's important to remember that no test is perfect and that it will not completely 100% accurately measure a person's knowledge, abilities, and tendencies. Testing does not replace the human touch or intuition. Testing should also not be a means of labeling or judging. We all seem to do enough of that without the aid of a test! If I were teaching this class, what could be done to make it more interesting? It's a very real possibility that I could be in that position some day. Maybe now is the time I should be thinking about that-while I'm wearing the student hat. What if I need to write about testing? In my doctoral thesis perhaps or even for another class or say, in a book I write sometime...Those are all very real possibilities, too. OK. Now I get it. This isn't just about what is happening in the moment. But a lot of life is like that. At first blush, some things just don't resonate with us. There are no accidents. Everything is a test-a test to see how we will react/respond, what we will allow or create, even tolerance and patience for the things that truly do not work for us! Attitude is everything. Perspective can always be tweaked to work something for our benefit in some way-there are so many angles things can be viewed from. Choose to see the good.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed