Saturday, November 29, 2008

Running toward 50: 5K for the couch potato

What in the world is she doing now, you say? Here I am with my new Oprah bra(brand name Enell, but it's the same one Oprah wore for her marathon so it must be the best!)~gearing up for my first big race. A a5K on January 17th in Portland, Michigan. I will be accompanied by my entourage~some running with and others just there for support(and to party afterwards!) I decided that this "more bounce to the ounce" thing has got to stop! That, and the fact that I don't want to put an eye out...or suffer a concussion... or some such horriffic running tragedy! Thank-you, Oprah!

Those of you in the inner circle know that I have been trying to train for my first 5K. Trying because a bad case of plantar fascitis has been keeping my training efforts a bit on the inconsistent side. I have been doing better ever since Sloan at Gazelle's in downtown Holland helped me get some great running shoes. I've been stretching my feet continuously and icing them at night and after my runs. Never mind that it's not a good idea to go out dancing in spikey heeled boots~but that's another story!! Because I jumped the gun and went skydiving for my 49th, certain friends think that I need to come up with something else amazing to do for my 50th birthday in May 2009. One such, so-called friend(you know who you are!) made me watch a video off the AARP website of this lady who didn't start running until she was 64 and is in her 80's now and is still doing marathons. Therefore, I have no excuse-guilt me out, why don't you? So, somehow, even though I've never been a runner and I've never quite seen myself being one, I now find myself doing just that! Trust me, it's not pretty! I'm very slow at this point. I have noticed that I feel better and I'm getting less short of breath. Therefore, I guess my body is slowly accepting the fact that I'm making it DO SOMETHING for a change. Just like with the weight-loss efforts, I'm hoping that by posting my running journey on the blog, that I will keep myself accountable. After all, you, my loyal readers can surely be counted upon to give me crap if I try to weasle out of this, right? Heel issues considered, I still want to try to get as far as possible. So, here's the plan: I am currently using the training program in the book, The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer, by David A. Whitsett, Forrest A. Dolgener, and Tanjala Mabon Kole. This program started out as part of a class offered at the University of Northern Iowa~a kind of cross-over experiment between the Psych and Phys Ed departments because it was designed to address both the physical and mental aspects of marathoning. According to the authors, over 170 students in the original classes attempted the marathon using this plan and only ONE did not finish due to dehydration and heat exhaustion. Pretty good odds I'd say! So, I'm willing to give it a shot, with the disclaimer that if I feel I am injuring myself at any point along the way, I reserve the right to whimp-out! After all, rank does have it's priviledges. I have actually bought into the idea that this would be a very cool thing to do to prove-if only to myself-that life REALLY does begin at 50! I am doing this in stages so here's my running schedule for the year, leading up to the big event on May 23rd in Traverse City. There's plenty of time to jump on the bandwagon and join me in running these events. The more the merrier and the more the harder for me not to stick with it!! If you are absolutely NOT going to join in with the running, please consider joining my entourage cuz' I can use all the support I can get. Plus, it will be a lot of fun going to these and there will be celebration following each and that'll be worth the trip right there! OK-so mark your calendars and save these dates:

January 17th-5 K- Portland, MI

March 22nd-8K- Bay City, MI

April 27th- Half-Marathon-Pickney, MI

May 23rd-Bayshore Marathon, Traverse City, MI

If you want more info about any of the runs, feel free to email me via my profile. I am open to your comments, questions, and suggestions-especially if you are a runner and can fill this newbie in on any important, good-to-know kinda stuff. Well, I will keep you posted every week as I journey on...If you need anything related to running, be sure to check out Gazelle's. It's the bomb: gazellesports.com.  And Sloan is very helpful! Gotcha covered, sweetie, thanks for all your help!

2 comments:

Rachel Nykerk said...

Another thing to help the plantar facsitis is to get enough calcium. I had it about a year and tried everything. My chiropractor uncle said to take calcium supplements and that is what finally made it better.

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Hey, thanks, Rach!!! I will start upping my calcium tomorrow and see if that improves it.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed