Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Path I Walk: The Church Has Left The Building!


Church was cancelled today. Instead, all the life groups from Victory Point went out into the community to do various acts of service and ministry. My life group went to visit patients at Zeeland Community Hospital. We took flowers and gift bags to each of the patients who accepted visitors. I have to admit that, even though I'm not a shy person, I had to talk myself into going. I wondered what on earth I'd even say to these complete strangers in the hospital. If I were in the hospital would I want someone coming into my room when I wasn't feeling good? I had a whole unsettling conversation going on with myself! But on a deeper level, I knew that it was a good thing to do-in spite of my own nervousness and self-doubts. You know what? Once I got going, I was really glad that I'd made myself go. People really were open to having someone stop to visit and show that they care. It was a cold, windy, slightly snowy day. Very dreary looking. If you were sitting in a hospital bed I imagine it would seem even more so. One lady asked us to pray with her and as I was praying a tear started to come to my eyes. I really left there feeling touched by her desire to reach out to God.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think God would really use us and our testimonies would be so much more powerful if we would jump onto opportunities like this more often. It's outside the comfort zones for most of us but I do believe that God would like to see us step outside ourselves and become more available to others. I know I am personally guilty of being overscheduled pretty much all the time. When you're that busy, you just don't take the time to think about doing little acts of kindness like this. It gives us all something to think about. How can we incorporate even little things each day that we do for the people who cross our paths, whether we know them or not? I'm going to be looking for small acts to offer on a daily basis. Some things I already do, like holding doors for people, or smiling at people, or speaking to people who look sad or lonely. I know that there is more I could do. It's just a matter of focusing, having intention, and following up those impulses with action. It isn't just the thought that counts! Put some action into your faith. It feels wonderful~

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed