Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Pound of Cure: The Undoers!


Tonight at weight loss church we talked about food pushers, saboteurs, and enablers.


Who are these people? They could be well-meaning grandmas who want to show their love by preparing your favorite tempting foods. That special aunt who always makes thick, fudgey brownies or chocolate chip cookies. Or it might be a spouse who wants to assure you that you are loved just like you are...so go ahead and eat!Don't worry about how much you eat! Maybe some people in your life feel threatened by your weight loss success or perhaps they are jealous. There are people who feel shamed by others who are eating sensibly so they may try to derail your resolve to make themselves look better. I call these people frienemies-with friends like these who needs enemies? The majority of the time, people around us just don't realize we are trying to lose weight and become healthier. They feel they are being nice by bringing us a doughnut or cinnamon roll in the morning at work. In so many situations, eating is part of socializing. If you want to have a vital, active social life, it will usually involve eating and drinking together as part of the event. Holidays are excuses to overeat. Many of our fondest holiday and vacation memories revolve around certain foods. It's just not Christmas without the favorite cookies, candies, and special family tradition food items. Plan ahead for a comeback line to the usual ploys of the food pushers, enablers, critics, and saboteurs. Decide ahead of time how you will handle these issues when they come up-and they will! Ask for the kind of support you need both during and ahead of the social event. One great thing about Weight Watchers is the flexibility of the plan which allows you to save points, use your bonus points, and earn extra activity points for food so that you can have what you want. As for my stats this week, I lost 1.6 pounds bringing my total to 12.8 for five weeks. I went to a Wednesday night meeting this week because Jayden has been with us all week while Linda is in the hospital and I had to juggle a bit. I met the Wednesday night leader, Lisa, who, like Kathy, my Monday night leader, is funny, kind, helpful, supportive-they both do such a great job! I love all the neat folks I go with on Monday nights. I am so inspired by Becki, Jenny, Jan, Dave and Karen. I also met some fab people on Wednesday night. One of the gals is a blogger like me and she has lost 150 pounds!! I'm sharing her blogspot here so we can all be inspired to forge ahead by this amazing, determined gal:
http://www.dutchbeingme.blogspot.com/
Have a Happy, healthy Thanksgiving everyone! I know I will...I'm ready!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi lana,

jayden looks so adorable in his pictures. my daughter used to have a toy like his -- the ball where you throw different shapes inside.

Congrats on losing 12.5 pounds!!!!!! you have a very nice weight watchers church group, hope our church comes up with something like that too. only....I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT MY FOOD. ha, ha ha!

hugs

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed