Monday, November 10, 2008

A Pound of Cure: Lessons from the Gridiron



I was nervous about weighing in this week because I had been away all weekend at the Creative Memories crop in Spring Lake and, while I did try to make good choices, I was exposed to more food and different foods than I normally would have subjected myself to while in the weight loss mode. Add in not exercising like normal-I did fit in one workout. And, I didn't drink my normal amount of water or I'd of spent more time in the bathroom than working on my album! I also had some alcohol~which, believe it or not, is not a usual part of my routine (although, looking at this blog, you'd think it was!). This was the "taking care of yourself" item that my WW leader asked us to do this week. I live such a full, over scheduled, frequently time-pressured life that just getting away for a couple days was an unbelievable reprieve!That is also a good lesson-special events come up, even when/especially when we are working on our weight and we need to learn to navigate these events successfully. Successfully means enjoying and not missing out while simultaneously making choices that support our weight loss objectives. Everyone brought snacks to share. I brought snacks that fit in with my WW eating plan. I opted more for fruit, vegetables, and the healthier choices at breakfast, lunch and dinner. I skipped the desserts that were offered but I allowed myself to have the 2-pt. Oreo, Nutter Butter, and Chips Ahoy bars I had brought instead. I felt completely satisfied by this. The result: I STILL LOST! Only one pound this week but that's four sticks of butter! Next week I'll have been on WW for one month and I will do my measurements as well. Since I have been exercising, it will be interesting to see how my body is reshaping itself.
Lessons from the Gridiron was the theme at weight loss church this week. We talked about getting help in the huddle(going to our meeting), having a game plan (especially for holidays, social event, and eating out), what to do when you fumble, and how to have a "winning season".
Our leaders gave us these quotes from legendary coaches to spur us on to success. Notice, there aren't any from the Detroit Lions : - (
Vince Lombardi~
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing but in rising again after you fall.
Tom Landry~
Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan.
George Allen~
Winning is the science of being prepared.
Bear Bryant~
If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride-AND NEVER QUIT-you'll be a winner.
Denis Watley~
The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or never seriously
consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going; what they plan to do along the way; and who will be sharing in the adventure with them.

1 comment:

Rachel Nykerk said...

1# is 1#. Way to go Lana, keep it up.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed