Friday, December 12, 2008

Running Toward 50: Coming in out of the cold!

I fell twice this week because of the snow and ice~and that was while wearing Yak Tracks! All those seemed to do was make me over-confident and now just plain paranoid! So, I decided that rather than be derailed all together, I'd find a good deal on a gym membership for the winter months. So that's what I did! I also have been experiencing some relief from my plantar fascitis. Rach, I think that extra calcium is doing the trick! Anyway, it felt like old home week going back into Family Fitness. I was a member there years ago when it was Lakeshore Athletic Club and then briefly when it switched over to Family Fitness. Some of my former trainers are still there fighting the good fight~contributing to the health and well-being of others. Kudos to them for their commitment and longevity. I am counting on them to kick my butt into shape again after all these years. I remember when going there had a very familyish feel to it. That feeling of belonging. Nice to revisit that! Another great aspect is that as soon as I hit 50, I can have a dual membership there for $15 more per month to use the facilities and classes at Evergreen Commons as well....and they have a pool! So, it is my hope that I can get some consistency going now finally. Not depending on the weather. Putting my foot issues behind me. I am going to start over on the 5K running program from http://www.coolrunning.com/ and hope that I can accelerate it a bit since my first run is only about a month away at this point! I did have one really great day last week before I fell when I ran 4 miles without stopping so hopefully I can manage to be ready by January 17th. Should be a go...I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Rachel Nykerk said...

Glad you joined a gym, it is much safer these days. Glad to hear the calcium is helping too ! You need to feel your best going into 50.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed