Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Path I Walk: Growth


Today at VPM we talked about growth: Luke 2:52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men. Good topic for this time of year. I don't know about you but I always get a bit reflective now heading into the New Year, looking back for signs of progress(growth), looking back at what I learned from my various encounters with life, and looking ahead to where I'd like to be by this time next year.Art VanWyhe spoke of growth in terms of who we look up to. Who are your heros? The consumate hero, of course, is Jesus, our example, and as He grew in wisdom and stature, He also grew in favor with God and men.Am I doing that? Are you? Art brought out several areas where we can take a look at the issue of growth. The first was growing in discernment(wisdom). How can we grow in this area? Art gave a few examples: read your Bible, follow the design that God/Christ has patterned for us, use the lessons from our circumstances to help us make good choices, be sensitive to the direct leadings of God, and get good input from other like-minded people. In the area of physical growth,Art highlighted that even if you are past all of your physical growth spurts, we can still look for ways to honor the temple God has given us by respectful behavior and good health habits. We can draw closer or grow spiritually by first desiring to be closer to God and by having the discipline daily to make time for scripture and prayer. Relationally, we can grow by fellowship with God and others. Specifically, spending time in life groups, in church, but also taking time to participate in the lives of those we live by, work with, or encounter in other venues along the path. Personally, I have been experiencing a growth spurt of sorts because of my healing process post-divorce, and the knowledge that I am approaching 50 has been a catalyst for changing some of the things in my life that have needed changing for a long time! I realize that all of those changes that I hope to make will not happen over night.At times I will grow faster, sometimes slower, and, yes, there will be halts along the way.Growth is a process.The most important point is to keep desiring growth at every stage of life. There's always room for improvement~it's the biggest room in the universe!
P.S. Thanks to A.J.Westendorp and Jordan DeJonge for sharing their very moving testimonies and incredible experience of this year playing football for the Holland Christian Maroons during their winning season and gaining the State Championship!I loved how you guys followed and depended upon God to take you through that glorious journey!Congratulations again on the honor you helped the Maroons to win with God's help. Blessings to you both in your future endeavors!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed