Thursday, September 4, 2008

My impression of Sarah Palin


I made a point of getting home in time for Sarah Palin's first nationally televised speech. I think it's really great that more women in political circles are finally being given the more substantial opportunities to play key roles and make bigger contributions. Even considering the fact that I am Democrat through and through, and that I have finally seen the light and now embrace Obama/Biden with enthusiasm since Hil is out of the running, frankly, I liked the hell out of Sarah Palin! She is funny, she is plucky, and she is a very intelligent, capable, and remarkably normal person. Her life is somewhat messy and who can't relate to that? She is handling her family issues with candor and openness and unapologetic for having stuff just like everyone else's family. Sarah Palin is interesting. She's a gun totin' hockey mom who owns her powerful side as well as her womanhood. I am impressed by the way she has handled herself as governor of Alaska, addressing many of the multi-faceted issues around the management of Alaska's vast natural resources. I enjoyed meeting her family. She's an attractive lady and her hubby is rather dishy!  I am blown away by her courage to tackle such a challenging job in light of the fact that she is the mother of a special needs child. That takes guts! I do wonder if she is prepared for what that will entail should she eventually wind up in the White House. I'm afraid I would be very daunted just by the responsibility of caring for a child with Downs Syndrome much less doing so while vice president of the United States! I admire her willingness to step up to the task of all that~I have often felt that women are amazing creatures. We can raise families, work, participate in church, community, school, kids' activities, keep up with our friends, cook, clean, pay bills, and whatever else is required and look damn good while we do it too! I think just about every woman I know could probably run a multi-national corporation after all the roles we've had to balance in our lives on a daily basis. I think that if women stopped doing everything they do the world would actually stop spinning! So, even though I'm not planning to vote for Sarah Palin, I do feel like she did a great job tonight of pulling her party together and generating a lot of energy. Everyone now knows she's a force to be reckoned with and worthy of her spot on the ticket. Whether she has the experience and what it takes to do the job remains to be proven and will be up to the American people come November 4th. John McCain could have done much worse than Sarah Palin. I was pleasantly surprised! Good for you, Sarah! As always, I end on a serious note :)

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hi Lana,

I agree you. I'm impressed by Sarah as well. As you are a democrat through and through, I am a republican through and through but don't hold that against me. :-) I usually am "polite" and don't talk politics but I am curious to hear what is the draw to Hillary and/or Obama. I see the Obama thing as young and "anti-washington establishment but I think Sarah will be even better at that. Just curious. :-)

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Hi, Cheryl! Haven't heard from you for awhile-I hope that means you've been having a lot of fun! First of all, I don't think it's impolite of you to ask my opinion. After all, that's one of the beautiful things about having a blog-you get to express yourself and say whatever the heck pops into your brain. I love it! If you check my earlier posts you will see that I have a bit of a jaundiced view of ALL persons in politics. Go back and check-I have already stated that I think they stretch, spin, and convolute the truth to suit the occaision AND they ALL play "the game". Having said that, I will also say that each person running has things about them I admire and some weaker areas-pretty typical of us humans. I am also an equal opportunity heckler-meaning, I will make fun of any and all if something comes up that we can have some fun with. That's why I love to listen to Jay Leno and David Letterman and I watch SNL and other satirical comedy shows-like Bill Mahr and John Stewart. Now down to the serious part, I am going with the democrats this time around(voted for Bush twice, by the way!)because, after researching all the websites(both the government sites and the official party sites)plus all the private official and unofficial banter, watching both conventions, reading the papers, listening to news,looking at magazine articles, talking to local politicians on both sides, I have decided that my one little vote will go to Obama/Biden because I believe they will do more of what our country needs right now. I will be honest, the past number of years, I have voted for the person I felt this way about whether they were republican and democrat. This is the process I hope all the voters are pursuing because we all need to be sure of why we believe what we believe to be the best course of action for our country at this time. That is a personal decision that each of us must make and I'm glad we all have the freedom to make such a choice. As for why I liked Hil so much...she is a very intelligent woman, she stuck to her guns even in the face of pressure about her personal life and political actions. She is experienced. AND I was so excited about having a woman president...the guys have run the place forever, with varying degrees of success I might add, so I feel like a woman isn't going to do any worse than some of those guys and probably better than most! As for Barak-he is somewhat reminiscent of JFK and, since the old establishment network of politicians doesn't seem to be getting the job done, I say give the guy a chance. We do need fresh ideas and a new approach. Joe Biden is the counterbalance. He fills in the spots that Barak is less able to. So there you have it, I hope you're not sorry you asked and I hope you didn't get too tired reading this! Maybe we should have just gone out to lunch! Anyway, I am looking forward to the debates! To everything that is said, there are counter-arguments on both sides which is why people probably avoid speaking of such things in polite conversation because that has a tendency to explode into arguing and mudslinging. People have very strong feelings about these issues! But in this case, I'm glad we broke the rules! Cheryl, hope we're still buds!! AND we will not be discussing this in the next massage session...time to relax! Take it easy and hope to see you soon!

Carol Sue said...

For what is worth....It is Obama all the way for me. Sarah is not doing well in Oregon, especially in Portland, We are way to democratic and liberal out here. Anyone who opposes abortion EVEN in the case of rape or incest is truely not what any woman should ever want....speak to a few victims........

Lana Mae Kamer said...

I am so thankful that I've never been put into a position where I would need to consider abortion! I think that would be a heart-wrenching decision to have to make. I do feel that we cannot legislate morality. That's why God didn't make us into robots. He gives us all the freedom of choice. I, personally, wouldn't ever feel comfortable getting an abortion BUT I would not push my beliefs onto anyone else or stand in judgement of anyone else-that's not my job and the last time I checked, God didn't seem to need help with that from any of us! It's between the person, God, and their own moral compass because we are all held accountable for our actions individually to do as we see fit in any given circumstance.
I can see what you're saying though, Carol, Oregon IS by far a much more liberal state than Michigan and I could see the Republican ticket not flying there. Around here, on this side of the state anyway, I'm am totally outnumbered and my views are quite disapproved of!! I am or I feel like I am the lone ranger!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed