Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My history in Mantras

Do you have little sayings that help you get through the day~especially the rough spots? I think I've always had mantras during the various stages of my evolution. Back in the late teen, early adult years it was something like: Who am I? What's my purpose? What am I here for? If it feels good do it! Don't worry, be happy! Should have been: Get a life!
Then, I developed quite a powerful victim stance once the proverbial crap started hitting the fan. It's always more convenient if you can blame someone else for your problems: Why me? Poor me! It's not fair! I didn't do it! It's not my fault! The devil made me do it!It's Mom and Dad's fault.
Then came the harassed years of raising young children. I took the Scarlet O'Hara approach: Someday! I'll do it/think about it tomorrow.I started working through my crap at about age 25 and was in the thick of it until about 5 years ago. The mantra for those years: Get over it! Shit happens!
When my kids hit their teens and I was struggling in my marriage I had to remind myself daily: Nobody's perfect!
Then the years I had to work like crazy AND go to school. The divorce.I felt bogged down and overwhelmed. Some of that still comes up these days but not like it used to. Ahh, progress! My mantra: Keep moving forward! Put one foot in front of the other! The way you eat an elephant is one bite at a time!
Today, I feel good about my life and I AM moving forward, blaming no one. My mantras these days are more positive:Life is good! Every day matters! Everything counts! I can do this! To thine own self be true! Be kind!
What's your personal mantra? What are the little phrases or sayings that help get you through? Please share!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed