Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'll never wash this book again!



Here I am, holding my well-worn, extensively used, and NEWLY AUTOGRAPHED copy of Keith Ferrazzi's book, Never Eat Alone. OMG! I am geeked X10! Last year I was fortunate enough to win a coaching call with Keith and I have continued to reap the benefits of his advice~which, by the way, included starting this blog!The class I am taking currently for my masters degree is Career Counseling and Development. We've been doing a lot of assessments in class, such as the MBTI, the Holland Index, and the Harrington-O'Shea, among other instruments aimed at pinpointing strengths and aptitudes. The class puts us in the role of the clients so that we can see these tests from their perspective and also learn how to use them to the best advantage. I had to tweak my resume for an assignment last week and this week we are exploring career related sites on the Internet. Besides the text, I've been re-reading What Color Is Your Parachute? It's interesting to note that both the Parachute book and my instructor have stressed the importance of relationships and networking to finding your niche in the career world. My instructor also acknowledged Keith's book as one of the best he's read in the course of his 30-year career helping others find meaningful life's work. If you are interested in excelling at networking skills, there's no better source than Never Eat Alone. I have read this book during at least three different phases of my personal evolutionary process and have referred to it on many other occasions-specifically before and after high-profile events when I need to psych myself up or recharge my confidence in meeting people OR if an event hasn't gone quite as well as I had hoped, I look at some of the suggestions in the book for ideas on how to handle future events better. All of life is about networking whether you are looking for a job or not. There's a lot of truth to the old adage, "It's not what you know BUT who you know!"

2 comments:

Rachel Nykerk said...

I need to read this book, it sounds interesting. I have not been reading enough lately, you are inspiring me.

Lana Mae Kamer said...

The other thing you'll like about this book is that the author is a hottie-grrrr!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed