Monday, September 15, 2008

I did not like Ike!


This weekend was wet, dark, dank and dreary! That sort of weather makes you feel tired! It was hard to motivate myself to get anything done! I know that all of us in Michigan got off easy compared to the folks in Texas and Louisiana. Still, I shared, in a very small way, the anxiety one feels as the water creeps closer and closer to your home. Once again, we had water nearly up to the side of the house. I had the two lakes in my backyard, a mote around the side and front of my yard, and water over the driveway and into the natural depression which I hope someday will be an actual pond to help drain our low-lying areas. It's a helpless feeling when the water is rising and the rain keeps falling! I moved as many things off the basement floor as I could. The sump pump was running like crazy. I had visions of having to get a wet vac and clean up the entire lower level of the house. I've had to do that once in the 12 years I've lived here. Not a pleasant job!! When things began moderating I breathed a big sigh of relief! Thankfully, the weather reports say that the rain will be done by noon and the rest of the week is going to be warmer and no chance of rain until at least next weekend so that things will have a chance to dry up around here. Better hurry up and get that pond dug before the next round... There was an actual tornado that touched down near PawPaw. We had some strong winds also. Nothing like the severity of the areas who felt the full blow of Ike's wrath. Having just experienced a fraction of the aftermath of Ike, my heart really goes out to those who are now faced with the prospect of having to start over with nothing. The force of nature is not always kind.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well stated, Lana. not always kind, indeed. i'm glad you missed Ike's full force, but sorry for the water that reached your house...hugs!!!

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Thank-you, dear! I know I have nothing to complain about and a lot to be thankful for when I look at some of the devastation others have been subjected to. Still, it is unsettling to even be threatened by flood waters. I appreciate the support!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed