Saturday, June 21, 2008

Political Grouse Loose in da House!


Ready, aim, FIRE...

YUM-YUM! Here's another heaping helping of political grouse served up nice and rare!


In order to make politics a career, you'd have to be comfortable with the following:

1. Stretching and/or spinning the truth. I don't want to call it outright lying BUT it does make one think that possibly the phrase, "hell-bent for election" was coined by someone who knows where liars eventually wind up and how that correlates to the political world!

2. Playing "the game". By that I mean the old "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" kind of thing. For instance, catering to special interests, doing favors for those in your network of supporters, and furthering the views and concerns of large contributors. This has and will always exist in politics.

Lets face it, nobody would get elected or re-elected if they were absolutely truthful OR altruistic. In fact, if a political figure acted in a manor that was too highly noble, I would fear for their safety both inside and outside the political circle. We have seen this result before with others who stepped out to REALLY change the world for the better and not just gather power, prestige and money for their own purposes. Think of those who have been assassinated in the past because they tried to do something "too good".

3. I have also observed that it helps your career in politics if you write at least one book...

4. Then go bowling.

 5. Possibly knock down a shot or two of whiskey with the locals...

6. Be satirized on Saturday Night Live and appear on the late-night talk shows-OY!

What these folks are willing to do to get into a job that nobody in their right minds would want!
7. Another prerequisite:  A GREAT sense of humor!
If stuff like this was circulating the globe about you, would you be able to laugh?

I enjoy poking some fun at Hillary, Barack and John,  but actually, there are things I like about all of them. As for Hillary, I am proud that a woman candidate was taken so seriously and managed to get so far- and that she hung in there and fought a good fight even while the pressure to give up was enormous. I was excited to have a woman presidential candidate and was looking forward to the possibility of having a woman president. She proved that a woman can take the heat and can handle herself as well as anyone. It is not meant to be this time around but we're definitely getting closer. Hillary is a pioneer. Others will no doubt follow but she was the first woman to wage a viable candidacy for the top job.  A feather in her cap!I didn't even mind the pantsuits...Now she is being a gracious team player by helping to unify the Democratic party-Kudos, Hill!
I am thrilled that Barack Obama is breaking down racial barriers and generating interest in political activism among the younger 20's and 30's voters. He is certainly doing his part to combat apathy and to promote participation. He has an articulate and charismatic presentation. His message is one of hope and optimism at a time when this country desperately needs such a vision. Even if Obama doesn't win I say he has done America a great service by just getting so many people back into the loop of caring about what happens in this country.
I think John McCain has lived an extraordinary life. I am grateful for his military service, I am inspired by his conduct during his POW years, and I think his example of continuing to pursue his dreams and ambitions, even when others would try to make age an issue for him, is admirable. He makes a good case for the fact that older persons are, in many cases, just getting a good head of steam built up in their later years! That's an encouraging message to all of us!He is also a man of great faith. I feel warmly about him as a person. I do not feel comfortable about the striking similarities between his views and those held by current administration. We'll see if that gets sufficiently addressed between now and election day.
I am still unclear about who I am going to vote for this presidential election. There is a lot of research and soul-searching to be done between now and November. A lot can happen yet... I am determined to make the best choice possible by educating myself on the issues and where the candidates stand on them. Factoring in, of course, that they WILL spin and stretch the truth and they WILL brown-nose like mofo's. Aww, heck,  I think I'll wait and see who The Daily Show endorses and take my political cues from there...hey, there's more than one way to  get your grouse on!~


No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed