Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Daddy O



Not to be confused with Jackie O. However, they both had their own unique styles~certainly one of a kind! My dad, Oliver Baker, went home to be with the Lord on March 24th. He moved into a mansion(and won't have to worry about forclosure!) and lives on streets of gold~not bad in the midst of a recession! It makes me smile to think of all those he has now been reunited with, including my sister Myrna Lee.I was very blessed to have had my dad so long.I thank God for this. He was 91 when he passed on. I had a good relationship with my dad and many fond memories. Daddy O had a passion for life and a wicked sense of humor that I like to think rubbed off on me.He was passionate about food...another thing we had in common. When he retired from the ministry, my dad left his library and his sermon notes to me. I cherish those things and I also feel priviledged to have had such a strong Christian heritage. I'm going to miss him like crazy! In many ways, though, he will always be with me. Never forgotten. Several memories stand out really strong from the last few days. One of these is the way that my sister Marcee kept me in the loop with what was going on. She was very dedicated to my dad, took very gentle care of both my mom and dad, and was the lifeline to the rest of us-especially me living so far away. I am so grateful to Marcee for this. She shared with me how a person from Hospice came in and played the harp for my dad in the last hours of his life and how soothing and comforting that was. A little traveling music for my dad to make his way into the next life. So sweet. Then, the day after my dad left, one of my clients had me tell her funny stories about my dad for the whole hour of her massage. We had so many good laughs over the antics of both my dad and all of us kids growing up and growing up PK to boot! That really cheered me up! Thanks, Marcia.I enjoyed reliving those moments. Then, last, but far from least, I have been deeply touched by the outpouring of love, prayers, and support by all my friends, family, coworkers, SAU classmates, Victory Point church family, facebook friends. The list goes on. Everyone has been so present to me and my family. I could really feel all those prayers. And I'm sure that's why my dad was able to pass so quietly and in peace. I am filled with gratitude. I will be traveling to Oregon on Friday. The visitation will be from 12-5 on Saturday at Hillside Chapel. The funeral will be Sunday at 10:30 at Christ Church.The burial will be Monday and is a private,family only affair. Please continue to pray for the Baker clan during the next few days. I am sure we will have our moments when some prayer support will be needed.
Feel free to view my dad's online obituary and write some thing in the guestbook if you'd like. Again, thanks for being there!

Oliver Baker's online Obituary and Guestbook:

http://www.hillsidechapelfh.com

2 comments:

Rachel Nykerk said...

I will be thinking of you and praying for you and your family in the coming days. Have a safe trip friday.

Manasa said...

Good Job Sissee!!!
Ilove you!!
Marcee
xoxo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed