Sunday, March 8, 2009

Butterflies are forever...

Not really. I think that was the title of an old Goldie Hawn movie or something...Well, we went to our fav haunt, the Fredrick Meijer Gardens, to see the butterflies today after church. Not much was happening but Jayden loved it anyway. He was bummed that it rained so much we couldn't go outside in the gardens. That's what he really loves! He's in a kick of saying everything happened yesterday. So, when we got there he was all excited looking out the windows into the garden, "We were here yesterday!" he announced to everyone! Then he proceeded to tell them about the pumpkins that were there at Halloween time and the Christmas trees and all about the "sandpile" and the treehouse and that his Granny (points to me)likes to roll down the big hill by the big horse! That's a real sight to see, let me tell you! But he had a very appreciative audience. When you're that cute, it isn't hard getting people to listen to you!The spring flowers were an absolutely gorgeous sight to my eyes. A welcome reminder that winter is in its last throes.We did get in on a little lightening and thunder while we were there. Of course, sporadic torrential downpours also occurred while we were inside the conservatory. Jayden fell into the cactus garden, which horrified us, but, amazingly, was not any worse for the experience.Jay and I got our pictures made in the butterfly photo cutout thingy. We stopped at all the tables and benches and fountains.Jayden assured us that the water wasn't "ukkky" and he put his hand into it! We saw the butterfly place three times and we went through the sculpture exhibit, which, in my opinion, looked like something a fourth grader could have come up with. Jayden had to be stopped a couple times because he thought the "peoples" that made up the plastic sculpture configurations were like legos and could be snapped apart and put together differently. We made a hasty departure! But not until we had a drink at the cafe and bought glow in the dark bug and butterfly t-shirts. We will be coming back on a sunnier day to see the butterflies again. That's the benefit of membership. Before long, we'll be back out there playing in the Children's Garden and rolling down the big hill for everyone's entertainment. Can't wait!Meanwhile, back at the Baker ranch, we are once again experiencing the duck lake effect. The spring rains make me nervous because of the flooding possibility. We say a prayer and hope for the best!

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Lana!

I always enjoy reading your blog! I a hoping to go to the Butterfly exhibit this year, I have never been there! Thanks for a great time Saturday night! Its always nice to hang out with a great group of ladies! Enjoy your week!

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Thanks, Jamie! I had a great time, too! I'm a member at Meijer Gardens and we go there often~I'll let you know the next time we go. It will definately be before the butterflies are gone. I can take a guest with me each visit on my membership so consider that an invitation.
Have a good one also!

Rachel Nykerk said...

I went to the butterfly garden for the first time when you took me Lana, it is beautiful at Meijer Gardens.

Rachel Nykerk said...

I went to the butterfly garden for the first time when you took me Lana, it is beautiful at Meijer Gardens.

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Meijer Gardens is a special place for me, too! Besides loving flowers and plants and art and the outdoors, it is a place I've spent a lot of time with family and friends! Especially that little Jay man!

Unknown said...

jayden is so cute!!!!! you described the day so well i could see it all happening. i think the goldie hawn movie was butterflies are free:)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed