Saturday, May 31, 2008

How i ro! SUBTITLE: Clear the bike path!!


A very kind friend gave me a beautiful bike several weeks ago. It has been a decade or two since I've ridden a bike, but in keeping with my new lifestyle(see my post about skydiving!), I am determined to get out more, exercise, get healthier, make a whole new network of friends,  leave the past in the past,  and see what sort of great new life I can create!
Many people in this area speak the highest words of praise for Cross Country Cycle(besides, they participate in a lot of community causes and advertise on JQ99-YAY!!) so I took my new bike there to be tuned up and to make sure the seat was the correct height, shape, that I had the proper helmet, gloves, shorts, etc. I did not want discomfort to become a factor in discouraging me to become a cyclist. I wasn't about to give myself any excuses not to ride!


Woo-hoo! They let you ride your bike inside the store! Wouldn't Mom be mortified?!

Part of the reason this cycle shop stands out above the rest is because it's a family business. Laura Harris, the store manager, has been working here with her father who owns the store, since the age of 14! She and her father take a personal interest in meeting the needs of their customers and they only select staff members who are committed to this level of service as well. 

Another unique thing is that Laura is one of the only FEMALE professional-level bike experts in our area available to help everyone, but women in particular, with cycling information and education that is geared towards our own unique needs. This store endeavors to help everyone develop a cycling mentality and way of life. Laura says that they make every effort at Cross Country Cycle to stay up with the latest cutting-edge products and cycling information. She says that even after all these years it is still fun and still exciting to her and that she loves to share those feelings with others. Laura offers a lot of basic, beginner level classes about cycling and bike safety, maintenance, and repair aimed at empowering people to become self-reliant bike enthusiasts. There are more advanced classes as well and opportunities for cycling teams and groups.

It has been a long time since I have gone into a store that is so customer service oriented and where they will take so much time to explain things and work with you!  If you want to get the same great service for yourself, Cross Country Cycling is located at 345 Douglas in Holland. The phone number there is 616-396-7491. Summer hours are: Monday-Friday 10am-8pm Saturday from 10am-5pm and CLOSED SUNDAY. To get further info, check the Cross Country Cycling website on the sidebar of this blog under i likes it, i likes it alot!


I left there feeling energized and ready to hit the bike path for my first ride! It's a beautiful day and ideal bike riding weather...so off I go!

The real key to fitness through bike riding is NOT to ride your bike to one of the many ice cream shops strategically located along the most popular bike routes!

If you frequent the bike paths in the Holland/Zeeland vicinity consider yourself warned! I am still in the wobbly stage!
Well, at least I LOOK like a cyclist with all my new garb-I think that's called being a "poser"! Maybe someday in the near future you'll see me on ESPN doing the Tour de France or in the Iron Man Triathlon...you just never know where all this will lead! I'm hoping not to the Emergency Room!







No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed