Thursday, June 21, 2007

My BFF

MAKE NEW FRIENDS BUT KEEP THE OLD, ONE IS SILVER AND THE OTHER IS GOLD~
This is my BFF, Ruth. One of the things I love most when I visit in Oregon is reconnecting with Ruth because she reminds me of my very best self. She remembers me in my "glory days". We shared a lot of experiences in our growing up years (and beyond) and I am happy to say that the loyalty and friendship has remained constant. There is something special about someone who knows pretty much everything about you and STILL likes you anyway! Both of us had the last name of Baker-so we used to try and BS people that we were sisters even though we don't look a thing alike! Some of the tamer, more printable of our escapades included mooning a group of nuns and hanging bras and underwear all over the inside of my car as we drove down the road! We used to wear peasant tops which we stuffed with pillows and wore phony wedding rings to the thrift store so we could buy sex books! We used to tell the most incredible lies to college age guys to pass for college age girls so we could get dates. We used to go to stores in the mall and take pictures of ourselves in all kinds of outfits and in the room settings of the furniture stores... I could go on and on! We have taken very different paths. Ruth got married a week after me, stayed in the same town, in the same house, with the same husband and raised and home schooled 8 children: Kelly, Sara, Christian, Kaitlin, Bryn, Drew, Evan, and Lindsey. She was an awesome teacher and raised very nice kids! That alone is an unbelievable accomplishment! I married Lewis and lived in 3 different places: Oregon, Kentucky, and Michigan. I only had the two boys-which seemed like 8 at times! I did intermittently pursue higher education and spent a lot of time working outside my home in various pursuits including EMT, office/medical records/health insurance, and my current jobs as a massage therapist and shelter advocate. Ruth has been married for 25 years. I was married 24 and got a divorce last year.I did finally manage to finish my BA. I am currently pursuing a Masters degree in counseling. Go figure, I need counseling AND I'm giving counseling...let's see how that works out~ We have both always been avid readers with a flair for the dramatic and hilarious. I dare not even recount most of our revelries but I would just say that I still feel like Ruth's parents think I'm a bad influence on their daughter even though we're both pushing 50(AMAZING)! I think they probably warn Ruth's husband to keep an eye on her when I'm in town! I can sure say that we had a lot of fun and still are!During our recent visit I found out that she has written a book and is in the process of seeking publication. I always felt she was the smarter one, so I am thrilled that she has done this and hopefully can share with the world through her writing the brilliance I have always known was there. I am so immensely proud of my dear friend Ruth. Go, Ruth, go, Ruth! I hope that she remembers me when she gets rich and famous and does guest spots on Oprah and the Today show! I'm going to ask her to autograph her book so that I can sell it on ebay if I ever get too poor! I Anyway, we're sort of a cross between Thelma and Louise and the YaYa's! I love ya', Rufus! Remember Boris and Morris? Those were our cars' names! Someday we'll raise hell together in the nursing home.Hopefully we can remember at least some of the naughty stuff we pulled "back in the day"!
Ruthie, you will always be my Best Friend Forever!

Friends and crazy cat ladies

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed