Sunday, April 1, 2007

Polarity:My Week in Review

I feel a little like Carrie Bradshaw on Sex and the City sitting here thinking out loud! This blog business still feels a little like getting undressed in public! However, I have been going around and looking at other people's blogs this week and have learned an awful lot!Thank-you again, Keith Ferrazzi, for getting me out of the dark ages.
Well, this week past was a mixed bag! My sister, Marcee and I have talked often and at length about the polarity of everything. The good and bad, the happy and sad, the yin and yang that constantly coexists in life. Sometimes the overall tone seems either positive or negative but there is always the presence of the opposite or shadow side.
SUNDAY, MARCH 25, 2007: My friend Michelle and I went to see the Blue Man Group at the VanAndel in Grand Rapids. I have been wanting to see them for years! I was SO excited about this finally happening. Michelle and I met downtown for dinner since the show was at 7:30 and we got there early to people watch-the best part. It was a nearly sold-out event. Before the show, they had a lot of amusing things running across the screens by the stage which called for a response from the audience and so that was fun seeing how everyone was reacting. We speculated from the responses that a majority of the audience had either had a substantial amount of alcohol beforehand or possibly had fired up a big fattie before arriving for the show! In retrospect, we concluded that we might have enjoyed the performance more had we done that ourselves. Hindsight is always 20/20. Not to say that parts of the show were not entertaining-there were real moments of genius and humor and the stage effects such as the lights and choreography and unique mix of music, video and special sound effects. Many times during the performance Michelle and I made these weird wrinkely faces at each other and said, "WHAT??". Another friend who was there said that she had seen them in Vegas and it was a different and much better show. If I ever make it to Vegas I will probably pay the obscene price of a ticket to see the Blue Man Group again just to determine how I really feel about them. I'd love to hear from anyone else out there who has an opinion about the Blue Man Group....
Monday, March 26, 2007: This was a red letter day! I had my coaching call with Keith Ferrazzi-OMG!! I spent an entire hour on the phone with a man who sat next to Goldie Hawn at a party-I could just obsess about that for days...He turned out to be the nicest person ever and was very generous with his knowledge and help. I am going to devote an entire blog session to this coaching call.There's too much to write about to include here. It was so amazing. I was in bliss for the rest of the day and off and on all week! I get so excited and energized when I get the chance to brainstorm with such a creative and high-energy person as Keith. He just made my brain go into overdrive imagining all the creative directions I could go with some of his suggestions.Thanks so much to everyone who helped me win that call. I hope the coaching tool that you filled out is helping you focus on at least 3 things that you want to accomplish in your own lives.
Tuesday, March 27, 2007: Had to go to court. Those of you who know me and my family remember the incident that happened last October. For the rest of you out there, here's the Readers Digest version. Tyler had been drinking, got into an argument at home with me and Trevor. Trevor tried to stop his brother from leaving because he didn't want him to drive drunk. A physical fight occurred. Things got out of hand. I called 9-1-1. Tyler ended up going to jail for Domestic Violence.It is a sad day when a mother and brother have to go to court and testify against one of their own. On the way there, Tyler made the comment that none of us would be speaking to one another by the end of the day. I had been praying about this and had asked a lot of others to pray as well for an outcome that would teach a lesson, not destroy a family.
We got off to a rocky start but throughout the experience it became obvious to me that everyone involved: the judge, the prosecuting attorney, the defense attorney, the arresting officer and our family, were all trying their best to have this situation be a catalyst for change in Tyler's life. It was a long and drawn-out process but Tyler was able to be corrected gently and our family left intact. The three of us have experienced a stronger sense of unity lately and went out to dinner that night together and went to see 300 at the Imax. Emotional day but it ended wonderfully! Thanks to all of you who have been holding us up in your prayers! It really does change things.
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, March 28,29,30, 2007: Work, work , and more work! I had a bit extra to do this week due to some staffing shortages at my second job. Some of my shifts were back to back. No time to do anything else.I was glad to help my team though and I know that they will be there when I need help.My clients are always so appreciative. I was able to set a communication issue right with one of my co-workers on Friday. I always feel better when I am at peace with everyone.So many people are out of work in West Michigan that even when I am feeling overwhelmed with work, I remind myself that I am very blessed. I am lucky to have a job-two, even!I never forget to be grateful. I am noticing lately that I do get tired sometimes-didn't used to happen!Getting older maybe? No way!
Saturday, March 31, 2007: I had the most delightful experience attending a cooking class at Artisan Cooking School & Catering Company in Grand Haven, MI. The school is owned by my friends/clients Howard and Kathy Norris. The class was all about deserts. We learned how to make a creme brulee, a caramel flan, ice cream, a chocolate mousse, a chocolate volcano cake, and fruit coulis. Chef Howard is passionate about what he's doing and takes a lot of time to explain things fully. He also has a wicked sense of humor which makes the process even more fun! The best part was the sampling, of course! There goes all my weight watcher's points for the day! It was well worth it...check out their website: www.artisancookingschool.com. I am planning to take as many classes here as I can fit into my schedule before grad school begins. When my sister is here in May I'm going to have my dream team meet here for food and fellowship. Chef Howard does catered dinner parties there at the school for groups. Give him a try next time you have a special occasion and don't feel like cooking.
I went to church at 6pm. I am still getting used to going on Saturday nights. I feel like a recovering Catholic. It was especially strange since this would qualify as my Palm Sunday. Only on Saturday...hmmm.Pastor Steve preached the traditional message for Palm Sunday-The Triumphant Entry. One portion of scripture stood out to me: Luke 19:41-44. Jesus was giving a dire prediction over Jerusalem because they had failed to recognize that God had come. I just want to say that I am thankful that I recognized the time of God's coming to me. I am thankful for my parents and my Christian heritage. Holy week is the most significant time of the year for those of us who are Christians. We are reminded of the sufferings of our Lord and the incredible gift God gave to us through the life, death, and resurrection of His Son. God bless you all this week! Lana

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed