Monday, April 2, 2007

My Power Hour with Keith Ferrazzi

Keith Ferrazzi first entered my consciousness several years ago when I saw him on the Today show promoting his book, Never Eat Alone. I was searching for ways to improve the quality of my own relationships. Keith's interview was so down-to-earth and compelling that I went right out and purchased the book. I read it cover to cover in three days! Immediately, I began putting Keith's suggestions into practice. Within a short amount of time I noticed that my social sphere had widened and my client base had grown.I was feeling happier, more connected, and had more confidence. Keith encourages his readers to have honest communication with others. He stresses the value of being yourself. Most of what you read in Never Eat Alone boils down to The Golden Rule, common-sense, old-fashioned manners, and the concept of having integrity in your dealings with the people who cross your path. Refreshing! A radical departure from the old claw your way to the top theory! Keith also operates from the premise that the more you invest in the success and happiness of others, the more success and happiness will come your way. This is a point of view I can fully embrace and have found to be true in my own life experience.
Being somewhat of a cyber-stalker, I frequently check the websites of all my favorite writers and celebrities. I noticed one day on Keith's blog an invitation to use his coaching tool, Lifecoach 1.0. I filled out all the information and saw that Keith was offering an opportunity to win a one-hour coaching call with him. I was on it! I requested that everyone in my network fill out the coaching tool. At the end of the contest, I was thrilled to find that I was in the top three and I would be talking to Keith for an entire hour!
The coaching call came on Monday, March 26th at 3:30 pm. I have never experienced an hour flying by so quickly! Not a moment was wasted. Keith is very efficient in keeping focus.
We targeted the goals I had specified on the Lifecoach 1.0 tool. My first goal is to achieve my doctoral degree. I have just finished my bachelors degree in Family Life Education. I applied to grad school for my masters degree in Counseling. Keith discussed with me the reasons why I want to earn a doctorate. Even though my reasons for pursuing a doctoral degree are in alignment with my mission to contribute to others through teaching, speaking, writing, coaching and counseling, Keith advised me to get my career path more in the now, since my doctoral degree will be a number of years in the making. He asked me to find others in my area who are doing what I envision myself doing in the future and to create ways to connect with those people to learn from them and to also contribute something of value to their endeavors-possibly in the area of internship or volunteer work.
My second goal is to write a book. Keith coached me to start my own blog so that I could get in the habit of writing routinely. This would provide practice and discipline, but also give me the opportunity to get feedback from others and an idea about what topics could generate interest. Keith also suggested that I get around to reading the blogs that are out there and posting comments to those blogs as a way to start building community and meeting people of similar interest for peer-review. The final writing assignment Keith gave me involves the development of a tip for possible use on his blog. I am still chewing on that one! It better be good is all I can say!
The third and final goal we discussed was in the area of meaningful work that improves the world around me. Keith reiterated the idea of finding others who are doing what I want to do and being in relationship with them. I am going to work on finding appropriate mentors in the area of life coaching even though this concept is very new to West Michigan. There may be an opportunity for me to create this from the beginning stages. The idea of being a pioneer and innovator for this part of the country is an exciting challenge that I may decide to take on.
Keith proposed one additional project based on my interest in weight loss, self-esteem building and goal-setting for women in a support group format. I am working on bringing this program into reality. I currently have the "skeleton" of the program and eight willing women for my initial test group. Keith graciously offered to help coach me through to completion. This is the type of project that I am most passionate about and energized by. I love the creative aspect.
At the end of the coaching call, Keith gave me an admonition to be patient with myself and accept that I will encounter the inevitable pitfalls of being human from time to time but that hard work and perseverance will pay off. I cannot possibly convey to you what a genuinely nice and warm person Keith is. Then...he gives you the good-natured boot! To quote Keith, " Get going!"



4 comments:

MsRoonie said...

You have so much to say, and you say it very well. I have no doubts that you are on the cusp of discovering the Lana that you were always meant to be, and could always see glimpses of from time to time. I think you are now looking in a full length mirror and can truly see all the potential and strength you have always possessed. Here is Katie's Live Journal link. http://katiepreston.livejournal.com/
Everything you say in your hour long chat with Keith is so apropeau to what she needs to think about as well, as she starts her master's program this fall and a new direction in her life's journey. I hope the two of you start reading each other's blogs. She, because you a a very wise woman. You reading hers, because she is an excellent writer and will give very insightful comments.

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Hey, Annie, thanks for the input. I am going to connect with Katie at her blog. This is fun!
Later,
Lana

Lewis said...

Lana----glad to see that you are stepping out there and taking a risk by sharing your true self. I find that so many individuals go through life and never experience it, they just exist. How boring that they are never able to feel their true inner self come out. After all its their life and they can choose how they live it. Here in Southern California, its hurry up to get somewhere even if they don't seemingly know where they are going. Driving on a freeway is literally taking ones own life in your hands or so I have found out. On the other hand they are kind and generous outside of driving. It must be when they get into their cars that they assume an alternate idenity. Departing their car its left behind. They just put it back on when they get back in. I have found that it only appears to be some freeway drivers though, not the majority.
Turn on a blinker to get over to another lane and its a game to see how small a space they can leave you to get in. All this is happening at 70 plus miles an hour. Its like flying a small airplane in and around big jets.
I think that you should move to Southern California and experience the warm weather and acquire the job that you so feel an desire to achieve. I have every trust an confidence in you making the right choice after all there are no accidents in life. Lot of love coming your way very soon.

Lewis

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Thanks for being my cheerleader, Lewis. Some old habits die hard...First things first and one thing at a time. I need to get my ducks in a row before making any radical or sudden decisions. I'm taking my time these days.I appreciate all your care. I have every confidence that the right thing will happen in due time! See you soon.
Love, Lana

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed