Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Path I Walk: Holy Week

The path I walk is not covered in snow as predicted~even though it's cool outside, we have blue skies and sunshine! And I am looking up this week. It is, after all, Holy Week, and as Matt Yount reminded us this past Sunday, Palm Sunday, no matter what our schedules have on them this week, it is nothing compared to what our Lord went through during the last week of His life~what a perspective!

Matt did a great job of reminding us, through scripture, songs, and visuals the events of Holy Week, leading up to the crucifixion of Christ. I love the stories. Stories I have listened to since my childhood. Especially the entry of Christ into Jerusalem. Remember when, in Sunday School, we'd make those palm leaves and wave them around? The best part, for those of us who have accepted the sacrifice of Christ for our redemption, is that this story is REAL and it ultimately has a happy, victorious, triumphant ending!

My evolution in faith tradition has gone from growing up in what used to be termed a Holy Roller church(Charismatic), all the way from birth until after I married and moved to Newberg~I was saved in a Foursquare Church in Oregon City at age 14~attended Open Bible Church and a Foursquare Church in Newberg. When I lived in Kentucky I first attended Cornerstone Community Church in Paducah but later became a member of the Sharpe-Little Cypress Baptist Church close to my home in Possum Trot! Since coming to Michigan, I tried a number of churches initially but could not find a good fit until Victory Point Ministries. Started attending there in December 2000. Even though I said I would NEVER be part of a Christian Reformed Church, I am happily a member in good standing of Victory Point Ministries and the Christian Reformed Church of North America! I didn't realize Victory Point was CRC until I was sitting in the membership class. By then it was way too late. I was already in love with the faith community at VPM. The love continues...Lables don't really matter anyway. It's what's inside that counts. So what! I'm now a recovering Catholic~I love it! Who cares? From time to time I still love an old hymn and the liturgy of the "old school" church. I can be very reassuring and healing sometimes to return to some of the ways of the past. It's good not to throw the baby out with the bath water. Integrate the old and new for the best of both!
During the past couple of weeks anyway, because of my dad's passing I suppose, my thoughts have been more focused on the importance of relationship with God and with family and other people. For Jesus to be so sure about suffering on the cross to reconcile us means that people are definitely the top priority with Him. The thrust of Matt's message was that it was time for Jesus to do what He knew was the will of the Father. He willingly took it on. It is time for us to consider what that means for us. Time to step up into the life that was won for us because of the way of the cross. I know I am feeling like it's time for me, in many areas of my life, to really grab hold of the life God has in mind for me. To let go of the life and future I had planned for myself and be willing to submit it all to God's will. Which, in the long run, will be better than what ever I had in mind anyway! I know that I am on the right path with my Counseling aspirations. I am called to that. As for the particulars. The details. Nope. I don't have a clue. As I have said before, and I'll say again: I don't know what the future holds but I do know who holds the future! And it's time...no doubt the fact that I'll be 50 in May is adding to my sense of urgency! That'll light a fire under you for sure!

Just when I think Victory Point can't get any cooler...they go and come up with this Journey to the Cross event for Good Friday. It's a do-it-yourself, self-guided "stations" experience through the walk and events that Jesus took on His way to the cross. I can't wait! Normally I have to miss Good Friday service because I work late. This is from 4-8 pm. If you don't have plans already, feel free to check this out. It's sure to be moving and meaningful. You can find out more about VPM by clicking on the link on my sidebar under i likes it, i likes it alot! If you don't have a place to worship on Easter, please consider yourself invited by me to join us at VPM also. Services at 9am and 10:45 am.
Whatever you do, where ever you do it, I hope you take time to think about the true meaning of Easter beyond the bunnies and Easter eggs, peeps, and other trappings of contemporary celebration. It is my wish that you are very blessed this Easter!

2 comments:

Rachel Nykerk said...

Hoping you have a Blessed Easter. We have our Maundy Thursday Service at First Reformed Church tommorow at 7:30. I too love this time of year and the stories from the Bible.

Lana Mae Kamer said...

Rach~How was Maundy Thursday service? Better than going to school, I bet! Yeah, I love Easter, too. I also love the thought that you and I will be leaving for Oregon soon! Hugs!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed